Official Delta Goodrem Forums

GrrArgh
Delta Squad Member
Delta Squad Member
Topic Author

Wings of the Wild Album Reviews

01 Jul 2016, 19:18

A thread for all of the reviews of the new album!

First up, Cameron Adams at news.com.au - totally glowing review:

WINGS OF THE WILD

DELTA GOODREM

4 stars

[The House of OZ/SONY]

MAYBE it was turning 30. Or maybe it was being trolled for being herself. But something’s changed with Delta Goodrem.

Her fifth album is her best one since the teenager who charmed millions with her bare feet and bare emotions with her debut Innocent Eyes in 2003. After a four year break between albums Wings of the Wild is her most confident and empowered release.

It’s also full of unexpected moments, a mix of risks and experiments no one saw coming. How about Australia’s sweetheart singing “I took that loaded gun, forgive what I have done” on The River, a swamp-pop tale of busting an unfaithful boyfriend in the act and “shooting him down”. It’s her Rolling in the Deep meets Daddy Lessons, co-written and produced by Evanescence’s David Hodges and demonstrates in three minutes that 15 years into her career she’s still able to surprise.

See also Enough — the least Delta-like single of her career but a masterstroke. Rather than get Pitbull or FloRida to phone in a costly micro rap, Goodrem found upcoming US female rapper Gizzle, who gets to perform not only the first verse you hear but also narrate the bulk of the story. In an era of pop stars playing it safe to make hits deliberately for radio this is a dramatic event song with some of Goodrem’s most potent vocals. And it’s still wildly catchy. There’s also wailing metal-style guitar and Goodrem’s trademark plaintive piano — this is her Battle Scars and pulls off that rare trick of impressing both her true believers and potential new believers.

Lyrically Enough touches on the recurring theme here — Delta coming out fighting. Maybe it’s a dodgy ex, maybe she’s done being a soft target for anonymous internet haters. “No matter what I do I’m not breaking for you,” she states on Enough.

That defiant mindset fuels the album’s pounding heart, Feline. A fired-up Goodrem sings “everywhere you turn there’s another torch that burns, it doesn’t hurt me anymore ... you woke up the animal and I’m never going back, I’m the leader of the pack.”

Musically it’s unlike anything she’s done before — picture Florence and the Machine’s Arabian nightclub — an immense live string section, booming beats and a jumbo chorus. It is her ‘I am woman, hear me roar’ moment.

You’ll also hear her raw — Heavy is one of her darkest ballads to date, Goodrem’s rarely sounded so bruised and broken, or sang so rapidly as the rapid-fire verse at the end. Last year’s intimate but intense Only Human finds a fitting home here, I’m Not Giving Up sees co-writer Dave Bassett (Elle King’s Ex’s and Oh’s) help create an fiery anthem as Goodrem serves up affirmations after some of the previous doubt and hurt.

Just Call recalls the bouncy swagger of Emeli Sande’s Next to Me, but with turbo percussion, In the Name of Love comes from local team DNA and sits nicely alongside Wings; another pop banger with piano, beats and huge vocals in the chorus.

Indeed, Wings now pinpoints a seismic shift with Goodrem — morphing her trademark sound into new styles and embracing the chameleon aspect of modern pop.

Her longest musical collaborator, Vince Pizzinga, gets many moments to shine here while Goodrem takes more control than ever, co-producing many tracks and even releasing it on her own boutique label imprint.

Her reimagining of the Darkness’ I Believe in a Thing Called Love is a triumph — originally recorded for her brother’s wedding it turns the glam rock beast into a stunning piano lament with Goodrem’s sky high vocals up there with Justin Hawkins’ wail calls.

Famous since she was 16, Delta’s already grown up in front of the entire country — this just makes it official on a musical level.

CAMERON ADAMS

Sounds like: Delta: woman

In a word: empowered.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/mu ... 6a011467fa

Memories
Delta Squad Member
Delta Squad Member

Re: Wings of the Wild Album Reviews

01 Jul 2016, 22:09

This has already been posted in "The Wings of The Wild" album section. All reviews have been posted in that section.

GrrArgh
Delta Squad Member
Delta Squad Member
Topic Author

02 Jul 2016, 11:10

This has already been posted in "The Wings of The Wild" album section. All reviews have been posted in that section.
So? We can't have a separate thread for album reviews? Might be nice to keep them separate so people can actually find them.

Kade
New Delta Squad Member
New Delta Squad Member

02 Jul 2016, 12:50

Yes a separate thread is a good idea, one place so they can easily be found. Have there been any other official reviews yet?

Rob
Delta Squad Member
Delta Squad Member

02 Jul 2016, 20:26

Delta Goodrem releases first studio album in four years
Delta Goodrem sure likes to take her sweet time. The singer leaves gaps of four or five years between her album releases, but that is no reason for her Australian fans to abandon her. After more than 10 years in the business she is still going strong as one of Australia’s biggest pop stars. Goodrem, who had brief international success in 2003 with singles like ‘Born To Try’ and ‘Lost Without You’, is ready to launch her fifth record, called Wings of the Wild.

Although Goodrem kept her fans waiting for four years after the release of Child of the Universe in 2012, she did release at least one new single each year, of which the most recent ones made it to the album. The Voice Australia judge was back at number 1 in her home country last summer when she released the brilliantly catchy dance pop tune ‘Wings’. The most recent single ‘Dear Life’ also made it to the record and despite not being the most interesting single choice, the track works well in context of the whole record.
So what does that record sound like? On first listen two things are striking: Delta uses a lot of strings on this album and most tracks are actually quite uptempo. The singer-songwriter who had her breakthrough thanks to piano ballads, excels on big pop melodies, in a similar vain to ‘Wings’. She opens the album with the confident anthem ‘Feline’ that quite perfectly summarizes the sound of Wings of the Wild: the melodies are big, Delta’s voice is stunningly powerful and fragile at the same time and the productions are swinging and full of strings. ‘Enough’, a collaboration with rapper Gizzle was announced as next single and although the sentiment of needing the freedom to express who you are is more applicable than ever, I can’t help but feeling the tune sounds like it would have fit better in the charts ten years ago.
On ‘In The Name Of Love’, which seems to be her best shot as next single, the piano returns to the centre of attention in the verses and is followed by a strong hook and some banging beats. ‘I’m Not Giving Up’ is another pop anthem with a clear message about standing behind the choices you make and on the drums based ‘Encore’ she tells an ex lover not stay around after the show. Powerful stuff! Of course there are still a few piano ballads to enjoy as well. The beautiful and heartfelt single ‘Only Human’ gets company from the stunning ‘Heavy’ that has a breathtaking middle-eight in which Delta gives it her all vocally in a rapid pace. Her piano cover of The Darkness’ ‘I Believe in a Thing Called Love’ works surprisingly well too!
Wings of the Wild might not be bold or unique enough to bring Delta’s international success back, but it perfectly showcases what she is capable of in terms of songwriting, vocals and irresistible pop melodies. On to another successful record in her home country!
Must listen: Feline, I’m Not Giving Up, In The Name of Love, Heavy, Wings

https://abitofpopmusic.com/2016/06/30/a ... -the-wild/

inthislife
New Delta Squad Member
New Delta Squad Member

03 Jul 2016, 05:53

I googled some but couldnt find many tbh, the only two I did read were the ones posted here!! be good to see some more though.
Rachel

skinny_bones4
Delta Squad Member
Delta Squad Member

04 Jul 2016, 01:20

You can read my full review of the album here: https://tylermcook.com/2016/07/03/wings-of-the-wild/ 

GrrArgh
Delta Squad Member
Delta Squad Member
Topic Author

04 Jul 2016, 07:58

https://www.auspop.com.au/2016/07/album ... ings-wild/ 

It’s been four long years since her last, but Delta Goodrem has returned with her fifth studio album ahead of the ‘Wings Of The Wild’ tour.
While ‘Child Of The Universe’ featured an eclectic mix of songs, ‘Wings Of The Wild’ has a very composed and confident feel about it, which means it’s an enjoyable listen from start to finish.
I will admit that I am biased here : I am a massive fan of Delta’s and have followed her since ‘Innocent Eyes’, even purchasing Japanese versions of some of her albums to have access to tracks only released there. With that in mind, I was always going to like this album and so will any of her existing fans. All the things that make a Delta album good are present: strings, powerful vocals, catchy piano riffs and empowering lyrics.
Long time collaborator Vince Pizzinga is back in favour here with multiple writing and producing credits and that’s a good thing. Pizzinga and Goodrem co-wrote most of ‘Innocent Eyes’ and the magic they created there is still alive today on songs like ‘Feline’ and ‘Only Human’.
Music production duo DNA also feature on this album after the immense success of ‘Wings’, among other collaborators (including a surprise writing credit from Jon Hume of Evermore fame).
So now I’ve geeked out, what about those of you who aren’t Delta fans? Why should you be interested in this album? It’s simple : she’s created a great album of pop music. From start to finish, the album is a classic and timeless collection of tracks. I feel like this was heavily influenced by her time playing Grizabella in the musical ‘Cats’ and it’s helped create an album that will still be playable in many years time.
There are a couple songs I could have done without (‘Heavy’ and another rap feature on ‘Enough’) but songs like ‘Hold On’ make this album a must buy. Did I mention her beautiful take on ‘I Believe In A Thing Called Love’? A surprising inclusion but one that is very welcome.
Overall this is an album from a truly stunning Australian artist and is Delta’s most consistent to date.

VERDICT : 4/5
MUST LISTEN : Wings, Dear Life, Just Call, Hold On, I Believe In A Thing Called Love

terry
Delta Squad Member
Delta Squad Member

04 Jul 2016, 16:24

Flawed_by_goodrem
New Delta Squad Member
New Delta Squad Member

04 Jul 2016, 16:46

Fucking asshole!
ILLUSIONS KEEP YOU WANTING MORE